The Treasure Depot


 


Metal Detecting Forum

I had an exchange with this fellow
In Response To: :2t ()

The O.P. was nice enough to PM me. And we had a little exchange about this. The form of "electrum", he said , was some sort of non-refined liquid . . That was slated to be refined into solid, yet stolen, and dumped into a lake, blah blah blah. Hence he fears that if the barrels broke down, then the material would be washed around and non-recoverable

And of course, it's got all the elements of a good treasure story. Ie.: the lone eye-witness thief, who's in jail for life, now 70-ish yrs. old, who's telling the story . And the company owner (from where this was stolen from 30 or 40 yrs. ago), who's confirming a theft, and agreeing to a split if recovered, etc....

Even with all those seeming "smoking guns" , I still think that such things are up to telephone game and "treasure fever" embellishing stories. Like for the seeming iron-clad component of a Co. owner, that could merely be subconscious steering. That if you approach some current owner of a company (who perhaps was not there 30 or 40 yrs. ago), and say "here's the facts", then sure: They might not argue , and you apply "confirmation bias" to anything they subsequently say.

Who knows ? Some treasure legends are true. But just saying that if we start to try to unpack a treasure legend for "true" vs "ghost story", then you ALWAYS find true components. Ie.: ALL treasure legends are based on real names, dates, events, etc... (yamashi-ta, the pearl ship, lost dutchman, oak island, etc...) . But if there's no treasure (ie.: the 1% of the story is just embellished ghost story speculation), THEN IT WON'T MATTER that the other 99% is "true".

But ... who knows ? I cast my skeptical "what if" and "how do you know" type questions to the fellow. And ... he never replied back to the last of our communication. I think we just left good enough alone, and there's no way to know for sure.

Messages In This Thread


Wherever you find the Treasure Depot logo just click to take you to the home page

Any questions concerning this site  may be directed to the Treasure Depot Webmaster

© The Treasure Depot 1998 - 2018