Love watching birds myself. got this from a news letter.
1. The American Goldfinch is the only songbird that feeds its young a diet of seeds. Brown-headed Cowbirds hatched from eggs laid in goldfinch nests cannot survive the all-seed diet.
2. Red-bellied Woodpeckers will eat almost anything, including insects, small fish, tree frogs, and even other birds and bird eggs!
3. In a 1962 experiment, several hundred White-crowned Sparrows were trapped in California and released in Maryland. One year later, eight of them had found their way back.
4. A White-breasted Nuthatch performing its threat display spreads its wings and tail, stands upright with bill pointed up, and waves its body back and forth, looking like a tiny, scary vampire.
5. Studies have shown that chickadees actually grow extra brain cells to help them remember where they have cached seeds.